When I was in Italy five years ago, eating some of the best food I’ve had in my life, I remember one dinner featuring asparagus, drizzled with olive oil and herbs and topped with a fried egg. It has stayed in my memory as one of my most adventurous meals.
Here are five ways to incorporate eggs into other fabulous offerings:
- Use leftover rice to make fried rice with vegetables. Drizzle with sesame oil and top with an egg for an easy meal.
- Toss spaghetti with olive oil, herbs and Parmesan. Add a runny egg; the yolk will create a delicious creamy sauce.
- Start with quick grits–add grated cheddar and chopped scallions. Stir the poached egg through.
- Dress greens (like kale or escarole) in a mustardy vinaigrette. It’s ideal for a warm egg and crispy bacon crumbled atop.
- Reheat leftover tomato sauce. Place a warm egg in the bowl–serve with crusty bread.